Gries 8th Generation
Generation No. 8
30. Clara Priscilla8 Schreffler (Rebecca7 Gries, Jacob6, Johann Dietrich5, Johann Dietrich4, Johann Christoph3, Sebastian2, Nikolaus1 Gries von Rankenwil) was born September 30, 1854 in Angola, Steuben Co., Indiana, and died June 06, 1934 in Shilo, Ohio. She married Joseph Winfield Page November 16, 1873. He was born May 25, 1852 in New Bloomfield, Perry Co., Pa., and died January 03, 1929 in Plymouth, Ohio.
More About Joseph Page and Clara Schreffler:
Marriage: November 16, 1873
Children of Clara Schreffler and Joseph Page are:
83 i. May9 Page, born Unknown; died Unknown.
84 ii. Clara Page, born Unknown; died Unknown.
85 iii. Virgie Page, born Unknown; died Unknown. She married Cyrus Snyder; born Unknown; died Unknown.
+ 86 iv. George Winfield Page, born November 15, 1874 in Shilo, Ohio; died May 01, 1960 in Shilo, Ohio.
31. Lorin8 Ferrell (Eliza7 Gries, Jacob6, Johann Dietrich5, Johann Dietrich4, Johann Christoph3, Sebastian2, Nikolaus1 Gries von Rankenwil) was born December 25, 1851 in Adario?, Richland Co., Ohio, and died October 14, 1909 in Utica, Kansas. He married Sarah Ellen Warden December 27, 1876, daughter of Samuel Warden and Elizabeth Latimer. She was born August 14, 1856 in Dixon, Ill., and died February 05, 1938 in Ness City, Kansas.
Notes for Lorin Ferrell:
Lorin Ferrell appears on the June, 1880 Census for Ness County, Twp. 16, Range 26. He filed land patents on two 1/2 section parcels at the WaKeeney Land Office, which opened its doors on October 20, 1879. Date of Record was May 12, 1886. A map (date unknown) shows his ownership of three quarter sections, and his sister, Louretta Ferrell, with ownership of another quarter section adjoining Lorin's, suggesting that Louretta purchased one quarter section from Lorin, after 1886. On this same map, near, but not adjoining Lorin and Louretta's parcels, is a quarter section owned by W. El. Ferrell, which if it was owned by Lorin's oldest son, Willard Elva, would have to have been purchased at some later date, as Willard was born in 1877.
'Ness, Western County, Kansas' published in 1955 in Detroit, Michigan, Millbrook Printing. Co., by Minnie Dobbs Millbrook, states that Lorin Ferrell was one of the original settlers of Utica, and it was he who suggested the name "Ohio Township" which was accepted by the other settlers in Twp. 16. He arrived in Ness County with his wife and oldest son, Willard, in 1879. He and W.C. Bell, established a Post Office in 1880, and named it Utica, for Mr. Bell's New York hometown. In May of 1880, in partnership with J. B. Driggs, he built a stone building for the post office and a small general store. From 'Early History of Utica,' Ness Co. News, May 23, 1925: "The Utica postoffice was started in 1880 with Lorin Ferrell as first postmaster. He held the office in a small storeroom on the northwest quarter section 27-16-26....When Mr. Ferrell sold out and moved to Iowa the office was moved to the sod residence of Wilson Killingbeck, who was then made postmaster". Two girls, Eva Anna (born 1880) and Ina Alberta (1882) were born before their removal to Iowa. This date might have been about 1884, as Raymond Warden Ferrell, fourth child of Lorin, was born in Rose Hill, Iowa, on February 22, 1885, at the home of Samuel Clark Warden, Lorin's Father-in-Law. They stayed with Sarah Ellen Warden's parents for two years. Within three years, January 23, 1888, he was back in Utica where his fifth child, Roland Irving Ferrell was born.
He served as County Clerk from 1900 to 1905.
The Ashland Press, of Ashland, Ohio, September 22, 1909, page 4, column 6.
Mr. and Mrs. Lon Ferrel, of Kansas, who left Ohio 30 years ago, spent several days last week at the home of Jeff Claberg. A number of his old friends and neighbors gathered in to see him as he is quite ill with tuberculosis. Florence's Note: Jeff Clayberg's wife was Lorin's cousin, Almira Ferrell.
From Ashland Press, Ashland, Ohio, October 20, 1909, page 4, column 3.
Lorin Ferrel, of Kansas, who visited here about a month ago, died at his home Wednesday with tuberculosis.
Number 1632, Book 16, page 422.
Lorin Ferrell died intestate. His wife, Ella Ferrell waived her right to be appointed Administratrix in favor of daughter Eva A. Ferrell on October 23, 1909. Petition for her appointment by his heirs over the age of 21 signed October, ? 1909. They included Ella Ferrell, W.E. Ferrell, Ray W. Ferrell and R.I. Ferrell. Her final report was made December 4, 1914, when she was ordered to distribute funds belonging to the heirs and was discharged as Admin'x. Wife's amount was $1027.16. Each child received $128.39. At the time of final accounting his estate showed real estate Lots 1 and 2, Blk 125 Calhouns 2nd Addition to Ness City, Kansas. The Estate included 19 horses, 2 cows, 2 hogs, and 3 shoats, quantities of hay, corn and straw, 50 books, a Certificate of Deposit and several notes from individuals who owed him money. Total value of Estate $9760.71
Notes for Sarah Ellen Warden:
Obituary of Sarah Ellen Warden Ferrell, February 7, 1938: Mrs. Ella Ferrell Died Saturday
Was Pioneer Settler of Ness County, Coming Here in 1879.
Homesteaded Near Utica
Judge Peters Honored Pioneer Mother in Fine Eulogy
The death of Mrs. Ella Ferrell last Saturday brought to a close the life of another Ness County Pioneer. Mrs. Ferrell came here with her husband in 1879, settling near Utica, and has made the county her home ever since.
Mrs. Ferrell was particularly well known for her many Motherly kindnesses to an unusually large circle of friends both in the Utica community and in the Ness City community, who mourn her passing.
The Ferrell family and the Peters family were neighbors for many years at Utica and because of the closeness of the two families Judge Lorin T. Peters was requested by the family to prepare the life history and to deliver it at the funeral service. The sentiment of the eulogy he gave is so fitting that it is being used as the usual obituary and appears elsewhere in the paper.
Six sons and two daughters survive Mrs. Ferrell, all but one of whom, Rolla I. Ferrell, was present for the funeral services. These were Mrs. E. B. Brenemen and her husband and daughter, Kathryn,, of Goodland; John D. Ferrell and wife of Wichita; Donald E. Ferrell of Salt Lake City; W.E. Ferrell, his wife and daughter, Eunice, of Tribune; Ray W. Ferrell of Anaconda, Mont, and his daughter and her son, Mrs. Ralph Butler and Frank, of Council Grove. Lorin T. Ferrell and family and Miss Eva Ferrell of Ness City, Mr. and Mrs. Brenemen of Hutchinson were also present.
Funeral Services were held Monday conducted by Rev. Miller of the Christian church of Dighton. Burial was made at Utica
Here are notes from Caryn Ferrell Landis, 1997
Sarah Ellen Warden Ferrell was known by the name of Ella. She was born near Dixon, IL. She married Lorin Ferrell in 1876 and they moved to Ness City KS in 1879. She bore 9 children, eight of whom grew to be adult. In addition to caring for her own famly she was often called on to help others less fortunate. In those early days she went by horse and buggy to visit the sick. She was active in the Christian church, Rebekah Lodge and American Legion Auxiliary.
Photographs show that she was beautiful as a young woman. I remember her as my tall, elegant, white-haired Grandma Ferrell in the 1930's. When I visited her for a week each summer I always found the year's worth of 'funny papers' in the basement. That was one way she entertained grandchildren. She and I used to have afternoon 'tea' also. Mine was just milk and sugar in warm water accompanied by her oatmeal and raisin cookies.
One winter during the depression we lived with her. As it happened both she and I came down with pneumonia and my mother, her daughter in law, was kept busy caring for us. There was no inside toilet so the work included emplying 'slop jars.' There was a windmill and water was piped into the kitchen. As a seven year old I thought the best thing about her house was the stained glass window in the dining room. In the winter food was kept cold on the screened in back porch. Her fancy refrigerator wirh coils on top was disconnected and used as a storage place for National Geographic magazines. During summer she connected it and sometimes had lemonade in it.
Grandma's favorite poem was "Sunset and Evening Star'. It was read at her funeral February 1938.
More About Lorin Ferrell and Sarah Warden:
Marriage: December 27, 1876
Children of Lorin Ferrell and Sarah Warden are:
+ 87 i. Willard Elva9 Ferrell, born October 04, 1877 in Olivesburg, Ohio; died 1955 in Orange, California.
88 ii. Eva Anna Ferrell, born December 10, 1880 in Utica, Kansas; died December 27, 1972 in Ness City, Kansas, Ness City Kansas Cemetery.
Notes for Eva Anna Ferrell:
Birth order and birth dates of children of Lorin and Sarah Ferrell proved by certified copy of family Bible in the possession of Eva Ferrell, by Floyd and Floyd, bonded and licenced Abstractors in County of Ness, State of Kansas, April 12, 1960.
Eva Ferrell was unmarried. She served as County Clerk from 1909 to 1911, replacing her father Lorin who died in 1909. She was later Treasurer (five times) for Ness County. She had the respect and affection of the entire community when she died at age 92 years, 17 days.
She was appointed Admin. of her father's estate in Utica Kansas, October 14, 1909. kept books for the family farming operation.
Obituary from Ness County News: Date unknown
Ness City - Eva Ferrell, 92, died Wednesday at Hadley Regional Medical Center, Hays, after a long illness. Born Dec. 10, 1880, at Utica, she was a retired Ness County clerk and treasurer and a lifeime resident here.
She was a member of the Presbyterian Church, Hays; past matron of OES, Ness City; American Legion Auxiliary; Federated Women's Club.
Survivors include a brother; Lorin Ferrell, Ness City; sister: Mrs. Alberta Brenemen, Hays.
Funeral will be 2 p.m. Friday at the Fitzgerald Funeral Home, Ness City; Rev. Merlin Norman. Burial will be in Utica Cemetery. Friends may call until service time at the funeral home. The family suggests memorials to the American Heart Association.
+ 89 iii. Ina Alberta Ferrell, born November 06, 1882 in Utica,Ness Co., Kansas; died Unknown.
+ 90 iv. Raymond Warden Ferrell, born February 22, 1885 in Rose Hill Iowa; died January 22, 1959.
+ 91 v. Roland Irving Ferrell, born January 23, 1888 in Ness City, Ks. USA; died September 21, 1961 in Saint George, Utah.
92 vi. Infant Daughter Ferrell, born July 29, 1890 in Utica, Ness Co., Kansas; died Unknown.
+ 93 vii. John Dwight Ferrell, born March 21, 1892 in Utica, Kansas; died January 14, 1966 in Utica Cemetery, Utica, Kansas..
+ 94 viii. Donald Edwin Ferrell, born March 20, 1895 in Ness City, Ks, USA; died November 09, 1969.
+ 95 ix. Lorin Bright Ferrell, born August 16, 1899 in Ness City, Kansas; died October 13, 1976 in Ness City, Kansas.
32. George8 Ferrell (Eliza7 Gries, Jacob6, Johann Dietrich5, Johann Dietrich4, Johann Christoph3, Sebastian2, Nikolaus1 Gries von Rankenwil) was born September 28, 1853 in Wellington, Ohio, USA, and died Unknown. He married Alice Boone September 05, 1881. She was born Unknown, and died Unknown.
More About George Ferrell and Alice Boone:
Marriage: September 05, 1881
Children of George Ferrell and Alice Boone are:
+ 96 i. Forrest9 Ferrell, born September 10, 1884; died Unknown.
+ 97 ii. Reed Ferrell, born April 30, 1887; died Unknown.
33. Louretta Catherine8 Ferrell (Eliza7 Gries, Jacob6, Johann Dietrich5, Johann Dietrich4, Johann Christoph3, Sebastian2, Nikolaus1 Gries von Rankenwil) was born January 08, 1856 in Ashland, Ohio, and died November 11, 1947. She married John B. Garner January 07, 1895 in Utica, Kansas. He was born 1855, and died Unknown.
Notes for Louretta Catherine Ferrell:
Louretta left her home in Ashland, probably about 1886, at the age of 30 to homestead l quarter Section in Utica Kansas, adjoining her older brother, Lorin, who claimed 3 parcels of 1/4 Sections nearby. At the age of 39, she married a neighbor, John B. Garner, who also was an original homesteader.
More About John Garner and Louretta Ferrell:
Marriage: January 07, 1895, Utica, Kansas
Children of Louretta Ferrell and John Garner are:
98 i. Evelyn9 Garner, born November 28, 1895; died Unknown.
Notes for Evelyn Garner:
Graduated from Kansas State College, and attended Teachers' College at Columbia.
+ 99 ii. Hazel Garner, born August 15, 1897; died Unknown.
+ 100 iii. Glenn Ferrell Garner, born June 26, 1900; died Unknown.
36. Mary Priscilla8 Ferrell (Eliza7 Gries, Jacob6, Johann Dietrich5, Johann Dietrich4, Johann Christoph3, Sebastian2, Nikolaus1 Gries von Rankenwil) was born November 08, 1866, and died Aft. 1909. She married Harry J. Winbigler. He was born 1862, and died April 11, 1941 in Ashland, Ohio.
Notes for Harry J. Winbigler:
Harry J. Winbigler is buried in Ashland City Cemetery. Died April 11, 1941
Child of Mary Ferrell and Harry Winbigler is:
+ 101 i. Virginia Elizabeth9 Winbigler, born Private.
37. Jemima Evalyn8 Ferrell (Eliza7 Gries, Jacob6, Johann Dietrich5, Johann Dietrich4, Johann Christoph3, Sebastian2, Nikolaus1 Gries von Rankenwil) was born December 06, 1868, and died Unknown. She married Allen Mowery December 27, 1891 in Ashland, Ohio. He was born Unknown, and died Unknown.
Notes for Jemima Evalyn Ferrell:
From Ashland Press Newspaper, on Ashland University, dated Sept 22, 1887: Miss Eva Ferrell of Center Street was enrolled as a student at the College on Monday last. About 40 names are now on the list.
Notes for Allen Mowery:
Was a well-known photographer in Ashland, Ohio
More About Allen Mowery and Jemima Ferrell:
Marriage: December 27, 1891, Ashland, Ohio
Children of Jemima Ferrell and Allen Mowery are:
102 i. Marguerite9 Mowery, born January 12, 1893 in Ashland, Ohio; died Unknown. She married Clifford R. Neal October 26, 1920 in Ashland, Ohio; born 1891; died 1937 in Ashland.
Notes for Clifford R. Neal:
His burial in the Ashland City Cemetery is in the records under the Mowrey name.
More About Clifford Neal and Marguerite Mowery:
Marriage: October 26, 1920, Ashland, Ohio
+ 103 ii. Donald F. Mowery, born Unknown; died Unknown.
38. Washington Irving8 Ferrell (Eliza7 Gries, Jacob6, Johann Dietrich5, Johann Dietrich4, Johann Christoph3, Sebastian2, Nikolaus1 Gries von Rankenwil) was born February 03, 1872 in Ashland, Ohio, and died May 23, 1936 in Massillon, Ohio. He married Emily Sevilla Gaddis September 17, 1895, daughter of Franklin P. Gaddis. She was born Unknown, and died Unknown.
Notes for Washington Irving Ferrell:
Information on the family of Washington Irving Ferrell was obtained from Lee Ferrell, his grandson, in August, 1999.
More About Washington Ferrell and Emily Gaddis:
Marriage: September 17, 1895
Children of Washington Ferrell and Emily Gaddis are:
+ 104 i. Glen Eugene9 Ferrell, born July 10, 1896 in Columbus, Ohio; died April 13, 1976 in Deerfield Beach, Dade Co., Fla..
+ 105 ii. Claude Marion Ferrell, born January 30, 1900 in Marion, Ohio; died January 14, 1986 in Massillon, Ohio.
106 iii. Clella Ferrell, born June 13, 1902; died October 10, 1910 in Ashland, Ohio.
Notes for Clella Ferrell:
Clella was killed by an auto while returning from school, about 8 years of age.
+ 107 iv. Vera Loretta Ferrell, born Private.
+ 108 v. Gertrude Elizabeth Ferrell, born June 24, 1907 in Massillon, Ohio; died February 16, 1997 in Massillon, Ohio.
60. Mary8 Hisey (Priscilla7 Gries, Jacob6, Johann Dietrich5, Johann Dietrich4, Johann Christoph3, Sebastian2, Nikolaus1 Gries von Rankenwil) was born Unknown, and died Unknown. She married Martin Ferguson. He was born Unknown, and died Unknown.
Children of Mary Hisey and Martin Ferguson are:
+ 109 i. Zella9 Ferguson, born Unknown; died Unknown.
110 ii. Boyd Ferguson, born Unknown; died Unknown. He married Sadie LNU; born Unknown; died Unknown.
66. Isabella8 Gries (Jacob Kaiser7, Jacob6, Johann Dietrich5, Johann Dietrich4, Johann Christoph3, Sebastian2, Nikolaus1 Gries von Rankenwil) was born October 22, 1866 in Ventura County, Ca., and died May 18, 1937 in Huenime, California. She married Morris Claberg 1887. He was born Unknown in Richland County, Ohio, and died Unknown.
More About Morris Claberg and Isabella Gries:
Children of Isabella Gries and Morris Claberg are:
111 i. Clay9 Claberg, born September 10, 1889 in Ventura Co., Ca.; died Unknown.
Notes for Clay Claberg:
Served for a number of years as Probation Officer of Ventura County.
112 ii. Stella Claberg, born February 17, 1891; died Unknown.
+ 113 iii. Clara Claberg, born Private.
+ 114 iv. Walter Claberg, born May 26, 1900 in Ventura Co., Ca.; died March 18, 1945.
115 v. Maryann Claberg, born Private.
74. Catherine E.8 Ford (Jemima7 Gries, Jacob6, Johann Dietrich5, Johann Dietrich4, Johann Christoph3, Sebastian2, Nikolaus1 Gries von Rankenwil) was born December 26, 1861 in Richland County, Ohio, and died August 12, 1926 in Ashland, Ohio. She married James Logan Chamberlain August 22, 1878 in Ohio. He was born Unknown, and died January 10, 1914.
Notes for Catherine E. Ford:
Buried at Adario, Ohio cemetery
Notes for James Logan Chamberlain:
Buried at Adario, Ohio Cemetery
More About James Chamberlain and Catherine Ford:
Marriage: August 22, 1878, Ohio
Children of Catherine Ford and James Chamberlain are:
116 i. Mary Rachael9 Chamberlain, born December 01, 1879; died 1972 in Ashland, Ohio. She married Charles Barnes November 27, 1902; born Unknown; died Unknown.
More About Charles Barnes and Mary Chamberlain:
Marriage: November 27, 1902
+ 117 ii. Margaret May Chamberlain, born April 25, 1881; died 1956.
+ 118 iii. Carrie Ruth Chamberlain, born December 24, 1892; died December 28, 1983.
+ 119 iv. Verda Belle Chamberlain, born March 02, 1882; died May 29, 1915.
+ 120 v. Charles Logan Chamberlain, born July 08, 1884; died Unknown.
75. Sarah Ellen8 Ford (Jemima7 Gries, Jacob6, Johann Dietrich5, Johann Dietrich4, Johann Christoph3, Sebastian2, Nikolaus1 Gries von Rankenwil) was born June 06, 1866 in Richland Co., Ohio, and died Unknown. She married Albert James White August 21, 1879 in Ohio. He was born Unknown, and died Unknown.
More About Albert White and Sarah Ford:
Marriage: August 21, 1879, Ohio
Children of Sarah Ford and Albert White are:
+ 121 i. Bert9 White, born October 05, 1890; died Unknown.
122 ii. Wilbur White, born March 12, 1893; died November 21, 1913.
123 iii. Harry White, born September 12, 1894; died Unknown.
76. Charles Leonard8 Ford (Jemima7 Gries, Jacob6, Johann Dietrich5, Johann Dietrich4, Johann Christoph3, Sebastian2, Nikolaus1 Gries von Rankenwil) was born July 30, 1873 in Shiloh, Ohio, and died Unknown. He married Minnete Luella Strawbridge September 16, 1900 in Bloomdale, Ohio. She died Unknown.
More About Charles Ford and Minnete Strawbridge:
Marriage: September 16, 1900, Bloomdale, Ohio
Children of Charles Ford and Minnete Strawbridge are:
+ 124 i. Margaret Evelyn9 Ford, born Private.
125 ii. Vivian Eloise Ford, born March 13, 1908; died March 24, 1991. She married Irving J. Naughton Private; born Private.
More About Irving Naughton and Vivian Ford:
77. Harry Hammond8 Ford (Jemima7 Gries, Jacob6, Johann Dietrich5, Johann Dietrich4, Johann Christoph3, Sebastian2, Nikolaus1 Gries von Rankenwil) was born March 10, 1859 in Richland Co., Ohio, and died February 27, 1934. He married Sadie L. Kirk December 15, 1888 in Ashland, Ohio. She was born Unknown, and died Unknown.
More About Harry Ford and Sadie Kirk:
Marriage: December 15, 1888, Ashland, Ohio
Children of Harry Ford and Sadie Kirk are:
+ 126 i. Wilbur H.9 Ford, born October 20, 1895; died Unknown.
+ 127 ii. Herbert Leland Ford, born June 12, 1897 in Ashland, Ohio; died Unknown.